Wednesday, June 13, 2007

New Packs

Melissa and I got our new packs today. We both went for Camelbak 100 oz daypacks, hers the designed-for-women Isis, and mine is the Rim Runner. I have used a Camelbak bag a couple times before, and they really are very convenient. We decided that we really couldn't go wrong getting the 100 oz reservoirs over the 70 oz models. They do cost slightly more, but we are definitely going to need to carry that much water at times. I got a really good deal on Melissa's at South Summit. I got a decent deal on mine at Campmor. I also bought a compass that was on sale, because a compass seems like a good thing to have. It clips onto my bag and even has a nifty little temperature sensor.

My first impressions of the packs is quite positive, but I haven't had a chance to use them at all. There looks to be enough space for all the basic hiking kit, a few warm clothes, and a lunch. They seem to have an extraordinary amount of little hoops, clips, clasps, zippers, etc. on the outside of the bag to strap on extra gear or just keep the bag tight - I am really nor sure how much of it is entirely necessary, but we'll see. As we get a chance to test them out, I will make sure to comment on their performance. And I will make sure Melissa gets some pictures of them in use.

No comments: